Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baked Chicken and Ziti

I got a new cookbook in my stocking this year from Rick's mom. It's a cookbook of recipes that her quilting guild put together and it looks great. I've only tested one out so far and it came out well. Next time, I'll make a few changes-- including adding mozzarella, which I didn't have the first time.

-1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
-1 chopped onion
-2 minced garlic cloves
-1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes (or diced-- I suggest using seasoned or Italian-style tomatoes)
-1 tsp. Italian seasoning
-1/4 tsp. black pepper
-2 C ziti or penne
-2/3 C ricotta or cottage cheese
-1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
-2 TBS Parmesan cheese

1. Spray a large skillet with Pam and heat. Add chicken, turning until slightly browned, about 5-6 min. Transfer to plate.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Spray skillet again and add onion and garlic until softened, 5-6 min. Add tomatoes, seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens, 8-10 min.
3. Cook pasta as usual. Drain and mix with ricotta/cottage cheese.
4. Pour half of the tomato mixture into an 11 x 17"baking dish. Layer with the pasta mix, the chicken and remaining tomato mixture.
5. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake until hot, bubbling and cheese is melted, 15-20 min.

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. oo la la! loooks so yummy! can you tell im starving and havent had lunch yet??? guess what? date soon!

    ReplyDelete