Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Media + MJ = Bad News (pun intended)

If there's one thing I've learned in journalism school, it's that journalists aren't too well liked in many parts of the world. Plenty of articles and surveys reveal the public's distrust of journalists and the widely-held belief that journalists sensationalize and are biased.

My personal experience has also left me well aware of the feelings people hold about my chosen profession. During interviews, people have asked me if I was going to be a "sensational journalist" or told me about about how the media always lies and exaggerates. I took offense to the fact that people would make broad assumptions about an entire industry.

BUT the past two weeks have convinced me that the media pretty much deserves its bad reputation. The coverage of Michael Jackson's death has been absolutely ridiculous. The non-stop TV specials, magazine covers and online articles have just been too much.

I know the man was strange and his death is international news, but other newsworthy items have practically been grazed over since MJ died. And today's memorial/funeral/celebrity spectacle was on virtually every channel. I understand that many people wanted to see the memorial, but did we really need commentators for each blow by blow of the event? (Most channels had journalists speaking during each pause in the program.)

Don't get me started about the Today show, either. They've really gone over the top in my opinion. I'm sure every other morning show has been the same way, but I choose (or maybe chose) to watch Today. Today has had an MJ segment every day and last week Matt Lauer got a tour of Neverland, which has been empty for years. I had to laugh when Matt said something when looking in Michael's empty closet along the lines of-- "This is where he kept his clothes." Really??!!

The special this afternoon was just too much for me, so I had to rant about it. After this, I am moving on. I would like the media to move on, too! (But I know that won't happen.)

However, there is a silver lining to this. The media coverage has provided The Soup--one of my favorite shows--with plenty of fodder. Thanks for making light of it all, Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment