It's even harder to believe that there are now kids in school who don't remember or know much about that day.
I recall that day very clearly and how I felt -- sad, scared, shocked and confused. It was the first week of my freshman year at Providence College and it was difficult to be away from home and in a new place during such a traumatic and frightening time.
At first, I wanted to go home. I just didn't want to be in a strange place when our country was in turmoil. But then something changed. In the aftermath of the day's disaster, people came together across communities, including the PC community.
Standing arm-in-arm with my PC friends at a candlelit vigil on the evening of 9/11, I felt safe and I found comfort. The way Americans--and the world--came together after 9/11 was truly beautiful and amazing. It was the bright spot during a very dark time.
I know I'm not saying anything unique about the day and many share my feelings, but to me, that sense of community is the most important thing to remember on this day. Hopefully that is what our children and our children's children will learn about this day in the future.
Photo taken at Ground Zero memorial construction site during a trip this February-- A spot every visitor to NYC should see.
No comments:
Post a Comment