Monday, September 28, 2009

Wretched Rodents

If you're wondering about what has happened with our rodent problem, now is a perfect time to update you.

Last week, Sally spotted a mouse in our apartment...IN HER BED. After this nasty surprise, she bought some glue traps on the recommendation of the cashier at True Value.

The traps were effective, but unfortunately for Sally, a mouse got stuck in the trap on a day when I was away. This means Sally was on her own when she had to "dispose" of the mouse since the glue trap doesn't actually kill the mouse when it gets stuck. A screaming, nasty little mouse stuck to a glue trap is not something that I would want to deal with by myself at 7 am. Thanks, Sally!

We also had a maintenance man come to our place on Friday and patch up a mouse hole behind our stove. He patched it up, all the while saying that he couldn't believe we had mice since our apartment is so clean.

We thought our rodent problem was under control, but we were wrong. I saw the little bastard tonight as he ran under my bed. When I approached my bed with a broom to scare the mouse out, he shot out and ran over my bare foot. Ughhhhhh. Gross.

After a few hours under the couch, he squirmed into a crack in the living room wall that is barely a half-inch high. A half-inch! A cardboard coaster is now shoved into the crack and a snap trap is set up in front. Not a great solution since he is either going to die in there or he has already snuck out.

Damn this old Boston apartment! Its charm is not very appealing when mice are running through every hairline crack in this joint!

Flickr photo from shadphotos

2 comments:

  1. So Jen I am finally reading your blog! Honestly...God Bless you girls for putting up with the mice...I'm not joking when I say I would SERIOUSLY have to move...this would totally freak me out. On a more positive note...I think you and Sally win the mouse battle at this time, however, as soon as that thing dies in the wall it will emit this horrible death smell...I know because we had a mice problem at our first house when I was little. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh man. Good luck my friend, good luck. I certainly feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete