Saturday, September 12, 2009

Thoughts on Fall TV

With fall comes cooler weather, falling leaves and the return of new TV. Yes, I know new sitcoms are not as poetic as changes in the weather, but I think we can all admit that fall TV is a welcome change after three months of re-runs.

Along with my returning favorites 30 Rock, The Office, How I Met Your Mother and One Tree Hill, I'm tuning into a few brand new shows. Well, so far I'm actually a fan of just one new show: Glee. It's smart, funny and has entertaining musical numbers in it-- what's not to love?

Speaking of new shows, I've noticed an onslaught of new medical shows since ER went off the air. NBC alone has two: Mercy and Trauma. Then there's HawthoRNe, Nurse Jackie and Royal Pains, which all started this summer. Did all the end of ER create a huge gap in the universe that needs to be filled with a half-dozen hospital dramas? It's a bit odd to me...

Something TV-related that also bugs me is the number of racy shows that are on at 8 p.m. I saw part of 90210 the other night and couldn't believe that crap is on so early. The TV rating doesn't matter when super-sexy shows are on right after the sun goes down! (Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but young kids aren't all going to bed at 7:30-- they're staying up to watch trashy TV.)

The CW is a big violator of this in my opinion. The network has switched Gossip Girl to 9 for this season, which is a much more appropriate time for a show about boozing, sexified teenagers. (Although I am a little annoyed that this now means my favorite soapy show, One Tree Hill, will now be on 8, but it's actually a tamer show than Gossip Girl.)

That's my prude rant for the night. Needless to say, my kids won't be able to watch TV until they're 16. Kidding! (Sort of...)

Flickr image from mashpriborintorg

No comments:

Post a Comment