Thursday, April 9, 2009

We women like to read, too...


I bought Esquire magazine today. This is a magazine with the tagline: "Man at His Best." Yes, I paid $3.99 for a men's magazine, but there are a few reasons why.

First, Ben Affleck is on the cover and I have a biased love for Ben. He is a talented director (ok, maybe not the best actor) and seems like a cool, normal guy. (Related note: I also love Jennifer Garner.)

Second, there is a long profile on Jonathan Papelbon in the same issue. You know, the profile where he calls Manny a "cancer."

But the main reason I bought Esquire is because I know it has great writing in it. And it's not the only men's magazine with strong writing in it -- GQ, Outside, and even Playboy actually have well done articles in them. Compared with the same recycled diet/sex/beauty articles in Cosmo, Self, Marie Claire, etc., articles in men's magazines look like Pulitzer Prize-winning material.

Not to say that the men's magazines don't have the occasional crap in them, but give us women some articles we can sink our teeth into!

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I read "A Year of Living Biblically" and "Know it All," I've wanted to get a subscription to Esquire. The Esquire writers, along with GQ's, are among the best I've come across.

    ReplyDelete