I'm aware of all the problems in the newspaper industry right now, especially here in Massachusetts, but I have to mention an alternative paper worth supporting.
Before moving to Boston, I wasn't even aware that a "street paper" movement existed, but lo and behold, it does and The Spare Change News is Boston's street paper. The Spare Change News is bi-weekly and sold on the streets in Boston by vendors who are homeless or were recently homeless.
The vendors buy the paper from the which produces the paper for $0.25 per copy and then sell the paper for $1, keeping the profits they make. Vendors must meet certain rules and requirements before they can sell papers -- like staying sober -- which I think adds a lot of legitimacy to the project.
Inside the paper, the News runs articles from street papers across the country and features work from writers who used to be homeless. It's an interesting perspective and also a great cause to support. Check it out if you come across a vendor.
No comments:
Post a Comment