Friday, October 2, 2009

Flu-ha-ha Bruhaha

The swine flu has dominated the news for the past few months and while I initially brushed off much of the coverage as hype, I'm now thinking I underestimated just how serious things could become.

Although my personal medical authority (Sally) says that the spread of the swine flu can be kept under control if people cover their mouths and wash their hands, we all know people are dirty and germs spread easily. I personally have been semi-OCD about clean hands since middle school, but what about everyone else?

I've never received a flu shot and I've never actually had the flu, but now I'm wondering if I should get a flu shot or a swine flu shot. I'm not really in favor of new vaccines, but what the swine flu really does spread everywhere this winter? Also, if it hits Boston hard, my nurse roommate will definitely be exposed it and what if it follows her home?

Complicating this issue even further is the fact that I don't have health insurance right now. Even if I decided to get a flu shot, I'd have to track down a clinic or pharmacy where I could pay for one outright. Not trying to bring the health care debate into this issue, but it will affect things once the swine flu vaccine is released.

For the time being, can everyone just please pledge to watch their hands frequently??

1 comment:

  1. Buy stock in Purell. These guys are going to make more money off the fear of Pig Sneezes than Halliburton made off the invasion of Iraq (OK, perhaps not that much, and while Halliburton did more to recruit new terrorists than protect any worldly citizen, Purell may actually save lives as they turn a profit. But I digress...

    If you're looking for a flu shot, most CVS or Safeway pharmacies are offering the shot for $20-$30, even without insurance. Also, check the MA Health Department web page - they may offer free or very cheap shots at local clinics.

    And finally, you likely won't be able to get the H1N1 shot, unless you're a 23-year-old, pregnant, health professional who moonlights as a classroom teacher.

    All the best wishes in staying healthy this flu season and remember, sneeze like Elmo taught us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7u4zUQh1GE

    ReplyDelete