Monday, October 26, 2009

Black and White and Read All Over

Back in my PC days, I spent most of my time in a small, window-less basement office filled with old computers and crappy technology. There were plenty of late nights and the office often smelled like old pizza and breadsticks.

Despite these seemingly harsh work conditions, hundreds of Friars have logged countless hours on the bottom floor of the Slavin Student Center to ensure the college's only student-run newspaper arrives in newsstands on campus each week.

Next year, The Cowl will celebrate its 75th year. This milestone has caught the attention of a few alums who had the idea of marking the occasion. Well, a couple of emails later and now there's an informal committee of Cowl alums on board (including yours truly) to plan a celebration for The Cowl's 75th Anniversary.

My three years on The Cowl were filled with (actual) blood, sweat and tears, and it often stressed me out more than it should have, but many of my fondest PC memories involve Cowl people or Cowl parties.

The Cowl was also where I first thought that I might be able to make a career of writing. I had always done well in school when it came reading and writing and I was an English major at PC, but I didn't have much confidence in my non-academic writing. The Cowl changed all that (even though most of the stuff I wrote back then makes me cringe nowadays) and made me realize that I could write and write well.

I know I'm not the only one with sentimental feelings about The Cowl, as the enthusiastic responses to the 75th Anniversary party-planning emails have shown. I just hope we can plan a shindig that does The Cowl justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment