Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

It's been a while since I've tried a new recipe, but the fall is the perfect time to attempt a cold weather classic: Chicken Pot Pie. I always loved the dish when my mom made it and I was pleased with how my version came out last night.

I found the recipe on All Recipes, and then I tweaked it a little bit. Bon Appetit!

- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 C peeled, sliced carrots
- 1 C frozen green peas
- 1/2 C sliced celery
- 3 TBS margarine
- 1/3 C chopped onion
- 1/3 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed (not vital if you don't have it)
- 1 3/4 C reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 C milk
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust

1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. In a large saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery. Add enough water to cover ingredients and boil for 15 min or so. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Slowly add in chicken broth and milk. Stir and simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

4. Add one crust to bottom of pie pan. Place chicken and veggie mixture in crust. Pour hot chicken broth-mixture over. Cover with second crust, trim excess dough, seal crusts and add steam slits in pie.

5. Bake in oven for 30-35 min. Pie should be golden brown and filling bubbly. Cool for 10 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment