Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rock Star

Tonight I got to see one of my literary idols in person. I went to a book reading by the one and only John Irving.

I've been a big fan since my senior year of high school, when I first read A Prayer for Owen Meany. The story was so creative and original and the characters were eccentric but true-to-life. Since then, I've counted Irving as one of my favorite authors and an inspiration.

I know people often find that seeing their idols in person is a letdown. Tonight's reading could not have been further from that scenario. Irving was animated, honest and funny. I really enjoyed myself and it seemed like the 500-person audience did as well.

I'm hoping to freelance a story about the event soon, but I have to share my favorite anecdote from tonight right now. Irving was asked by an audience member where the idea for the character of Owen Meany came from. Irving said that so many of his stories begin with a "what if" proposition.

He then recounted a visit back to his hometown in NH a few years after Vietnam. He was with some old friends and the group was remembering classmates who had been killed in Vietnam. One dead soldier, Russell, moved away when the guys were young and Irving said he didn't know him. His friends said he did, but Irving persisted that he did not.

A buddy then reminded Irving that when they were kids, Irving used to pick little Russell up by his ankles and shake the change out of his pockets. This jogged Irving's memory and he said, "He couldn't have died in Vietnam, he's too small!" His friend then reminded Irving that Russell had probably grown since they were eight years old.

Irving said he went home that night and wrote in his journal; "What if he didn't grow? What if he never grew?"

And that's the stuff that legends are made of.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I'm so glad we share this great author in high regard!

    Cousin Tony

    ReplyDelete