Monday, June 8, 2009

Riddle me this

Something I was pondering all day yesterday at the Sox game... How come ticket scalpers still exist?

I mean, I know the supply-and-demand model keeps them in business since people will pay anything for tickets, but why aren't officials cracking down on scalpers?

Scalpers are all over Kenmore Square before every home game (or concert) and they're not at all discreet when they yell "Need tickets? Need tickets?" at every person that walks by. I even saw one scalper chit-chat with a cop directing traffic and then walk less than a half block away and start advertising his scalping goods! Isn't scalping illegal?!

I don't understand why the cops don't pursue scalpers. It seems like it would be relatively easy to catch them in the act and it wouldn't be hard to find them.

Maybe some feel like it's not worth the effort to pursue or there are more important problems to focus on. But with the state economy suffering like it is I think any money -- even small change made from issuing tickets for scalping -- would help good ol' Mass. Food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment