Thursday, March 26, 2009

An Excellent Cause!


I know many of my blog readers (read: J-school friends and my mom) are Mass-located, but I have to promote a great charity event in Maryland!

My friend Jackie has spent over a year planning a fundraising walk for a foundation her parents started. The foundation is the Jewish Foundation for Group Homes, which operates more than 20 group homes in the DC area for disabled adults.

JFGH was started by Jackie's parents. One of Jackie's sisters was born with Down Syndrome at a time when there were very limited resources for the disabled and her parents were concerned about what the future would bring. Things have greatly improved since then, but our society often forgets about handicapped kids when they grow up. Disabled adults still need services!

Jackie's walk, Strides to Thrive, will raise money for a JFGH activities to provide more than 150 residents with a chance to go out into the community for fun and eduational events -- something the group doesn't have the resources for right now.

Please take a moment to check out the event Web site and maybe to donate as well! It was designed by Jackie's very talented youngest sister.

I stole the logo from Strides' Web site, but I love Jackie so I think she'll be ok with it... :-)

1 comment: