Saturday, March 14, 2009

Free! Please take one


On my walk to school on Thursday, I spotted a few women handing out pamphlets right near the T stop. I couldn't see what exactly they were handing out from afar, but I took one anyways.

Turns out the pamphlet was about going vegan and had gross PETA-style photos of slaughterhouses in it, but I thanked the women and politely accepted the pamphlet anyways.

I think I'm a sucker and will always accept handouts because of my own personal experience. A few years back, I was working in marketing and was out in DC with my colleagues for a special weekend promotion.

We were going from place to place and handing out free disposable cameras to get the word out about one of our sponsors. We spent three days handing out free disposable cameras and we were all surprised by how many people refused a free camera. A free disposable camera with no strings attached!

I know we're all constantly bombarded with telemarketer phone calls, SPAM email, and mall salesman all hyping the next big thing, but a person or two handing out coupons on the street corner is much different. It's awkward to be approached by someone handing out some free literature, but it's even more awkward to be the sap trying to give away the free stuff!

So because I know how uncomfortable it can be to approach people and hand something out, I'm always the person that will take your pamphlet and nod...even if I pitch it in the recycling bin 10 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment